Friday, December 9, 2011

Physicist, Stoner or Five Year Old?

".... the farthest place in the Universe is the back of your own head." (whoaa, that is gnarly)

Who said this? A scientist or a drug addict or a kid? Seriously...it is one of those head scratcher ideas that sometimes comes out of the mouths of babes or sometimes comes out of the mouths of a stoned college student or sometimes comes of the mouths of a college professor. It's profound.

Think about it. If the Universe were circular and you stood with a telescope looking for the farthest point, you would look all the way around the universe and end up at your own backside. And if you are like me, you would ask yourself "are my butt cheeks uneven? my right side is bigger than my left." or " i forgot to comb the back of my hair today!"

I read about this in Michio Kaku's book Parallel Universes (mkaku. org). He was talking about science but I don't really understand physics so I have been musing on this idea more like a stoner would. I stop, occasionally, and think "wow... I am the closest to myself and the farthest away from myself at the same time!"

Of course, this concept comes in handy in a practical way. I repress and hide all sorts of flaws, disappointments and embarrassing facts about myself . I shove these unwanted thoughts of loneliness and frustration to the back of my head, apparently because that is farthest place I can send them.

5 comments:

lime said...

far out, man...

PipeTobacco said...

Mary:

A very nice essay! I really enjoy the quote as well. I will have to write the quote down and remember to use it in class sometime.

PipeTobacco
http://frumpyprofessor.blogspot.com

(M)ary said...

lime: right on

pipe tobacco: ahhh.. professor, thank you!

(M)ary said...

lime: right on

pipe tobacco: ahhh.. professor, thank you!

BBC said...

".... the farthest place in the Universe is the back of your own head."

Actually, that statement is very close to the truth, just ask Einstein.

I call it the deep end of my brain pool, many can't swim there.