Monday, February 18, 2013

a little prayer

I just finished reading a book called Death Be Not Proud by John Gunther. It is a father's story about his teenage son who has a brain tumor. The book ends with a prayer written by his son while he was so sick the tumor bulged out of his head . As an agnostic, I love this prayer:

Unbeliever's Prayer

Almighty God
forgive me for my agnosticism;
For I will try to keep it gentle, not cynical,
nor a bad influence.

And O!
if Thou art truly in the heavens,
accept my gratitude
for all Thy gifts
and I will try to fight the good fight. Amen.
--John Gunther Jr May 1946

2 comments:

lime said...

i remember reading this in jr high or high school and weeping through so much of it. thanks for reminding me of that honest prayer.

(M)ary said...

My sister Nancy read it when we were in high school and loved it, if I am remembering correctly. I FINALLY read it 25+ years later.