Friday, March 22, 2013

5 Best Books of 20th Century

Iam back on goodreads.com and a few days ago I voted for best books of the 20th century. Here iswhat I chose. Keep in mind, I picked from a list of books nominated earlier by other goodreads users.

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

Beloved by Toni Morrison

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

Everything that Rises Must Converge by Flannery O'Connor

Yeah. I like that list. I stand by it.

*****

So...if you did the same list for children's books, what would you choose? Actually that would be a harder list to make@ lots of good kids books to choose from.

Top 5 books for Young children:

Goodnight Moon

Where the Wild Things Are

Green Eggs and Ham

Teddy Bears Picnic

The Polar Express


Top 5 books for middle school & teenage reader:


Harry Potter... No wait, that was published in the 21 st century right?

Hey God, It's Me, Margaret or any Judy Blume book

You know, I don't know much about this age group. When I was a buyer at Borders in thelate 80's I think the popular books were series like The Babysitters club and I would say the serialized mediocre stories were the most important 20 th century young adult book phenomenon. It paved the way for your Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games books of the last 13 years.


5 books I would want to have if stranded on a deserted island: (excluding helpful nonfiction books.)


I know alot of folks would say they would bring the Bible. I wouldn't, at least not the whole bible. Maybe the psalms &; Proverbs or The Gospels

Little Women by Louisa May Alcott

Outlander by Diane Gab-whatever


And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (a murder mystery set on an island)

A Charlie Brown book...not sure which one but something funny would be necessary



What books do you think are great and/ or worthy of being taken on a three hour tour that ends in being stranded on Gilligans island?


Once again, forgive my typos... I am typing this on a small phone screen that messes up when I try to backtrack & fix mistakes!

2 comments:

lime said...

oooohhh, i like this. i have to admit i struggled with beloved but i adore grapes of wrath. the others on the adult list i have not read (hangs head in shame).

children's books....i dunno if i could be limited to just 5 though your list is great. i also love the little bear books by else minarek and tuesday by david wiesner. and go dog go!

i think i read every single judy blume book there was when i was in junior high. remember forever? i think 2 copies of that were passed among every girl in the school. i still remember reading it all on one day when i stayed home sick.

as for my gilligan's island list, i think i would need to include a calvin and hobbes collection for humor and a manual on ship building and radio construction as well as a nautical atlas.

(M)ary said...

I am sorry I didn't respond earlier to your comment!

So, honestly, I didn't like Beloved when I read it the first time. Then I read it in a college class and liked it better.
I wasn't allowed to read Judy Blume! My mom and the catholic church had something against her. I read horror fiction instead VC Andrews.... John Saul...